Certainly one of my closest tea pals, Connie of Tea in Spoons, is celebrating a birthday this month. She wished to create one thing enjoyable for her tea weblog and requested me to hitch her. After a couple of brainstorming periods, we determined to make tea infused jam as a result of Connie is a giant lover of jam. By now, you in all probability know that I’m obsessive about scones and jam is one in all its greatest accompaniments. We each get pleasure from our black teas within the morning so we determined to mess around with a breakfast tea for this jam recipe. The recipe under is for a small-batch of Raspberry English Breakfast Tea Jam. Connie made the same model with strawberries as a substitute. So, make sure to go to her weblog afterwards for that recipe, too!
We wished to maintain this tea infused jam recipe as straightforward as attainable. Due to this fact, no pectin or canning is required. The small-batch will make roughly 7-8 ounces.
You’ll be able to get pleasure from it inside 1 week, however good luck attempting to maintain it for that lengthy when it’s so scrumptious!
This raspberry and English breakfast black tea jam is tart and candy with earthy notes from the freshly brewed black tea and a touch of astringency.
Along with including extra depth and complexity, Connie and I each discovered that the malty breakfast tea really helped steadiness the general flavours, so the jam was by no means too candy or too tart.
5 Ingredient Tea Jam
Here’s what you will want:
– English Breakfast Tea
Initially, this recipe was going to name for an entire leaf black tea however Connie of Tea in Spoons did the preliminary testing and located that the tea flavours obtained misplaced within the jam. Tea luggage or CTC (Reduce Tear Curl) tea labored a lot better!
There are a couple of English Breakfast tea bag suggestions on this checklist that will be good for this recipe.
Freshly boiled water (100°C or 212°F) to steep the tea.
I used contemporary raspberries, however you may as well attempt frozen if contemporary isn’t accessible! For contemporary, wash and halve the raspberries previous to utilizing.
Connie and I used granulated sugar for this recipe. Now we have not examined it with different sugar options.
– Lemon Juice
Including lemon juice lowers the pH of the jam combination and promotes gel formation.
7 Methods to Use the Raspberry English Breakfast Tea Jam
2) Toast sliced bread or English muffins and revel in it on them for breakfast.
3) Lather it on high of pancakes or waffles.
4) Serve it with cheese, crackers, meats and fruits. Jam is nice for a charcuterie board!
5) Remodel ice cream or yogurt by mixing in some tea jam.
Retailer Small-Batch Tea Jam
When you’re finished making the jam, pour it right into a clear jar and let it cool. After it has cooled, seal the jar and retailer the tea jam within the fridge.
It will likely be good for not less than 1 week. I had this jam for 1 and a half weeks and it was nonetheless good!
Make Tea Jam
Steep English Breakfast black tea in freshly boiled water for 4-5 minutes or the really useful time relying on the precise model you might be utilizing.
Be sure to cowl whilst you’re steeping so the tea can retain warmth and launch its full flavours correctly.
Take away tea luggage or pressure the tea leaves. Then, add the steeped English Breakfast tea to a small saucepan on medium-heat with raspberries and sugar.
Carry combination to a boil for about 15-20 minutes. Stir constantly and mash raspberries as they prepare dinner so you aren’t left with too many giant chunks of fruit within the jam. The jam will thicken on this stage.
Scale back warmth to a simmer and add contemporary lemon juice.
Take away from warmth when it reaches the specified consistency. Add the Raspberry English Breakfast Tea Jam right into a clear glass jar. Let cool earlier than sealing.
Retailer the jam within the fridge. Use inside 1 week or so.
Get pleasure from this tea infused jam on freshly baked scones, toast, muffins and extra!
Seedless Tea Jam
When you want seedless jam, merely pressure the raspberry combination after boiling to take away as a lot of the seeds as attainable earlier than jarring. In any other case, go away as is.
Often Requested Questions
How do I do know when the jam is prepared?
There are a couple of methods you may decide this:
- Sweet Thermometer – Examine the temperature of the jam whereas it’s within the boiling stage. It ought to attain 220F. Sugar types a gel at this temperature.
- Freezer Check – When you don’t have a sweet thermometer Connie of Tea in Spoons tried this technique. Put a spoon or plate within the freezer after which put a dollop of the jam on the plate or again of the spoon to check how it might look as soon as it units.
- Watch It Intently – Often combine with a spatula and watch how the jam could slide off. Skinny and runny means it’s not prepared but. Search for thick droplets that run off gradual.
I like to recommend choice 1 or 2 although if that is your first time making home made jam. After a couple of makes an attempt, you’ll get higher at seeing if the consistency is true by yourself.
I don’t like candy jam. Can I exploit much less sugar?
We might not advise this as we’ve not examined this recipe with much less sugar. The quantity of sugar shouldn’t be altered as it’s going to vastly have an effect on the consistency of the jam.
Nevertheless, we will say that utilizing a powerful English Breakfast black tea on this recipe does assist reduce the sweetness a bit.
I would like this jam to last more. Is canning attainable?
Positive! Be sure you go away a couple of quarter of an inch headspace within the jar earlier than sealing although. Discover some useful canning recommendations on this web site.
I’m not a fan of raspberries. Can I do that tea jam recipe with a unique fruit?
Head over to Tea in Spoons to offer Strawberry English Breakfast Tea Jam a attempt!
It’s troublesome to say if different fruits would work for this recipe with out testing as a result of the pure pectin and acidity ranges range and that may have an effect on how the jam units.
As an illustration, strawberries and raspberries are low in pectin so that they need assistance to thicken. That’s why lemon juice is added as it’s the easiest method so as to add each pectin and acidity.
- 4 English Breakfast tea luggage or 2 tablespoons free leaf (CTC really useful)
- 1/2 cup water, freshly boiled
- 2 cups raspberries (1 pint), washed and halved
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon contemporary lemon juice
1. Steep English Breakfast black tea in freshly boiled water for 4-5 minutes or based mostly on the suggestions for the tea. Cowl whereas steeping.
2. In a saucepan on medium-heat, mix the raspberries, sugar and steeped English Breakfast tea.
3. Carry combination to a boil for about 15-20 minutes. Stir constantly and mash raspberries as they prepare dinner. The jam will thicken throughout this stage.
4. Scale back warmth to a simmer and add contemporary lemon juice.
5. Take away from warmth when it reaches the specified consistency. When you need assistance understanding if the jam is prepared use a thermometer to test the temperature. It ought to attain 220F. Alternatively, use the freezer check technique.*
6. Take away from warmth and add the Raspberry English Breakfast Tea Jam right into a clear glass jar**. Let cool earlier than sealing.
7. Retailer the jam within the fridge. Use inside 1-2 weeks.
8. Get pleasure from this tea infused jam on freshly baked scones, toast, muffins and extra!
This recipe yields about 7-8 ounces of jam.
Like this Raspberry English Breakfast Tea Jam recipe? Pin it for later right here → https://bit.ly/3LmpWlj
Don’t neglect to go to Tea in Spoon’s for her Strawberry English Breakfast Tea Jam recipe! She additionally included some helpful troubleshooting recommendations on her publish.
Have you ever tried making tea infused jam? I’d love to listen to extra in regards to the fruit and tea combos you will have tried! Let me know within the feedback.